Sunday, January 1, 2017

2016 Highlights




As I look back on the year I see a year full of running and traveling for me, two of the things I enjoy the most.  2015 may have ended with a ski trip gone bad for my family, but 2016 began with recovery.  From that point on the rest of the year was filled with more running, races, and trips.

Year In Review

January began the road to recovery for not only Caleb but myself as well.  While Caleb was healing from his broken leg, I was recovering from an IT band injury that occurred during my half marathon the previous summer and foot pain that developed a few months later.  After 6 months of rest from running, I began to slowly build back up my endurance.  I began the year walking and running the winter fun runs with my running group and by May I was ready for my first official race of the year.

During this month Caleb also turned 16 in '16.  I am so proud of my son.  It was a hard and painful road of recovery after his surgery.  With all that he went through he never complained.  The strength and determination he has shown is amazing.  This will definitely be a birthday not forgotten.



After weeks of physical therapy, Caleb was finally dismissed in February and walking once again.  I now have a house out back dedicated to the storage of handicapped accessible equipment.  So, if anyone is ever in need of a wheelchair, or a walker, or crutches just give me a call, and I can get you all set up. 😊


 

Just when I was getting used to the idea of Caleb turning 16 what does Nick do?  He turns the BIG 21!  Now I'm really feeling old.  My baby is 21 years old! I'm so proud of who he is and what being his mother has taught me.  He is now in his last year of school.  I am excited and nervous about what the next chapter will hold, but I am looking forward to it and many more adventures to come with him.







In May, Chris and I celebrated our 24th anniversary.  Holy cow that's a long time.  It really doesn't seem like it though.  It's amazing how fast time flies.  I can't believe he's put up with me for so long...😃  Here's to many more babe! 💒




From here on out the rest of the year was mostly about races and trips.

The Races

This year I completed five 5Ks, a 10K, and two half marathons.  I actually signed up for a third half marathon but it won't be completed until the new year.







 
I reached a total of 1150 miles with the Moon Joggers, an online running group I joined three years ago to track the miles I run, jog, or walk and made the "Officer" rank.  Check out these awesome medals I have earned with them on our journey to run to the moon!

















The Trips

Last but not least were the trips this year.  From New York to Dallas it has truly been an exciting year. This summer I was able to celebrate my 48th birthday in New York.  This was our summer vacation and we happened to be there in the middle of June.  After New York, we headed to the beach in Corpus Christi with a stop in San Antonio on the way where we met up with my mother, brother and Nicholas.














In July we made a weekend trip with the Poirier family to Broken Bow to get in some kayaking and wineries.  A trip with my friend Brie would not be complete without wine of course. 🍷























In August I began my 24th year of teaching and in September a spa weekend in Hot Springs, Ark. was planned with some of my fabulous coworkers from Plantation Park.






In the middle of all these races and trips I somehow managed to plan and go to my 30th high school reunion in October.  A lot of work went into the planning of this event, and I am proud to have been apart of it.








My final trip of the year ended in Dallas for New Years.  I am thankful to have been able to spend it with Brie, Paul, Mason, Toby, Susan, and Mike.

2016 has been an awesome year with so many great memories. Happy new year!  May it be safe, joyous and filled with what is possible. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

My Favorite Memories of 2019

     Some of my favorite memories of 2019 began with a trip to the Dominican Republic and ended with getting the opportunity to enjoy my you...